Candle magic is one of the easiest and powerful methods to use. Whether it’s to call in money, love, protection or health, candles give us an extra boost to be successful.
Prepping or charging candles can be as simple or intricate as you want. Here’s my step-by-step guide on how to dress your candles.
1- Set Your Intentions
This is the most overlooked, yet the most important step. When setting your intention, be very clear about what you want. Don’t say, “I want a new job.” Do say, “I will get a job in accounting by year’s end and I will make $65k with benefits, and a great vacation package.”
2 – Pick Your Candle
The candle you choose is just as important as the spell itself. Different colors bring different energy to your rituals. For example, red candles are typically used for love and sex spells. Green candles are used for money rituals.
3 – Cleanse Your Candle
DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. A candle, like any object, absorbs energy it comes in contact with. Cleansing helps remove all energies the candle has picked up. While you are cleansing the candle, focus on your end goal and ask for guidance.
There are many ways to cleanse a candle. All methods clean effectively so pick the one that works for you. You can:
- Wave sage or incense smoke over your candle with a feather or by hand.
- Bury it in sea salt and wait 24 hours.
- Leave it outside at night (any moon phase is fine).
- Rub alcohol or holy water on it.
4 – Dress Your Candle
Anointing, or dressing, your candle in oil will help your spell align with your goal. To increase your magic, make sure you clearly state your intention again while anointing your candle.
- If you want to BRING in something new into your life, rub oil from top to middle then from bottom to middle.
- If you want to LET GO of something, rub oil from the middle outward to the top and bottom.
Using a combination of oils and herbs will only increase the success of your spells. Our Money Drawing Powder and Rich B*tch Oil, for example, will help with prosperity spells. Banishing Oil and Powder help with explain negativity, and keeping it away.
5 – Carving Your Candle (optional)
This can be a fun and creative way to personalize your candle. There’s no wrong or right way to do this, so trust your instincts and go for it. Think about symbols, mantras, drawings or names that correspond with your goal. For example, if you are looking to attract a new lover, inscribe the qualities you are looking for onto the candle. If you are doing a money spell, carve a dollar sign or how much you want to earn.
If you don’t feel comfortable carving your candle, you can write all of the above onto a parchment paper and place it under the candle.
6 – Sprinkle Your Candle
In addition to using powders on a candle, you can create a circle around your candle. Just pick a powder that matches your goal.
If you haven’t checked out the Witchy Women Magic Shoppe yet, what are you waiting for? Whether you are just beginning your journey into witchery or are already a seasoned pro, we’re sure you’ll love what we have to offer.
Let’s talk mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris). It is, after all, a witch’s best friend.
You can use it in spells, to dress candles, create oils, to cleanse energy, and more.
This plant has silvery-green foliage and small purple flowers. It’s pretty unassuming, yet thousands of old spells and recipes rely on its power.
It repels evil spirits, negative energies, ghosts – and mosquitoes. It’s known for lucid dreams, divination, strengthening psychic abilities and intuition, and for its connection to the moon and the goddess Artemis.
There are a million ways to use mugwort to protect your home and yourself.
- Sweep your house from back to front, sweeping all dust and debris out the front door. Add a bit of mugwort to clean water and mop. Then wipe down your front door.
- If you have carpeting, vacuum from the back of the house to the front. Combine some dried mugwort and sea salt, and ask the herb and salt to clear and keep away any evil energy. Sprinkle it over your carpets. Allow it to sit for a few minutes, then vacuum again.
- Hang a bunch of fresh mugwort over your front door or smudge your home with a mugwort wand to help keep negative energies from trying to enter.
- You can even use a mugwort oil, like our Beyond the Veil roll-on, to protect yourself.
Many people who practice scrying with bowls, mirrors, or crystal balls wash their tools in a tea made by steeping dried mugwort in water.
Even if you use tarot cards, runes or other divination tools, you can burn a mugwort bundle to help heighten your psychic abilities and enhance your intuition.
Mugwort has a long history of magical use and is generally very safe. However, if you use this herb often, take breaks of about a week or so to allow your body to rest.
If you are pregnant or nursing, do not use mugwort.
This herb is sacred and powerful, and it should be treated with respect. Try working with it, and see what doors it can open for you.